Monday 2 April 2012

I’ll show you mine if you show me yours...

In my team I am known as "Sui Super Schmoozer" and there are a good few reasons for this.

MRD's Checker Broads in Liverpool, photo copyright Shirlaine Forrest
When I first came on the derby scene in late 2008 there were only a handful of teams in the UK.  From the start I saw myself as an easy-going, relatively sociable sort of roller girl who loved meeting people and hearing their roller derby stories, dreams and goals.

Mixed scrim with Newcastle Roller Girls and Middlesbrough Milk Rollers.
I was lucky to be part of a team then who enjoyed trips to watch other teams bout and were heavily involved in the “fun” side of derby, which of course included staying on at afterparties as often as we could! We travelled all over the country - playing, watching and learning from the other up-and-coming teams from around the UK.

I would go to as many mixed scrimmages as I could and was lucky enough to guest skate for a few mixed teams in the early days. In recent days my derby has even taken me to Sweden where I captained a team for a “UK Invades” bout in Malmö.  I also helped put a team together to take on the mighty Team Scotland before they embarked on the roller derby world cup in Toronto and scored that all important point against the USA!
UK Invades Sweden with skaters from Crime City Roller Girls, Manchester Roller Derby, London Roller Girls, Auld Reekie Roller Girls, Sheffield Steel Roller Girls and Fair City Roller Girls.

My biggest achievement so far is co-founding the wonderful MRD. To work on the PR for this new league I've concentrated on what is now known as my schmoozing (which involves welcoming new skaters and guests that visit us, amongst other things). We have an open door policy with the bi-monthly co-ed scrimmages that we host and make sure we are welcoming to all.

I travelled to the US recently and had an opportunity to watch the New York Shock Exchange, who were awesome. I was brave enough to go and introduce myself to their captain, Jonathan Rockey, and the next day was sat on a bench at Gotham’s training hall watching them train. If only I had taken my skates with me!

Ooh, I nearly forgot! Bootcamps! Having been to three or four and I can confidently say they are invaluable… sometimes expensive, but worth it.  Top-class coaching from some of the best skaters in the world, meeting and playing against skaters with varying skill levels and some pretty amazing parties afterwards to help you dance the aches away.
Grange Hell was the UK's first bootcamp, hosted by Central City Roller Girls. There were probably representatives from every league in existence in the UK at that time. 

I had never taught anyone before being involved in roller derby but found myself teaching a room full of eager new skaters early on at MRD and within 6 months we had our first bouting team.  When I realised I could actually teach useful skills I offered myself out to other new teams when they needed help and have coached the likes of Preston Roller Girls, Chesterfield Roller Derby and The Bruising Banditas of Halifax. I am more than happy to add more teams to this list ;)

Basically what I am saying is, it’s nice to be nice. Get your face out there and help where you can. Support local roller derby. Buy tickets for bouts near you and get a car full of people to go and watch other teams play. You get to meet people and it’s also a great way to learn the game.

Most times when I go and watch a game I don’t care who wins, I just enjoy the sport and lap up the atmosphere. When someone does something good or racks up the points then of course I’ll cheer, but never boo another team or skater no matter what. That isn’t what the sport is for and it certainly doesn’t make you look cool.

As I've said before, it’s nice to be nice, that’s what it’s all about.
Sui-cider #7
The MRD FER IT ferrit :)

1 comment: