Tuesday 26 June 2012

NSOing – How to support your league off skates

By Captain Malice

Non-skating Official
non-skating official [non-skeyt-ing uh-fish-uhl]
noun
1. To officiate without wearing roller skates.

I love this sport. Consider me well and truly bitten by the derby bug - any excuse to be around it, I’ll take. I’ve been training for around nine months, delayed by work, weather and injury. For most of that time I have been pre-minimum skills. We needed people to help out with NSOing at scrimmage, so the lovely Minx Subordination taught me how to NSO allowing me to spend time watching and learning whilst supporting my league. When I was asked to help out with NSOing a bout, I thought, ’Sure, why not? I get track-side seats and get to help out.’

My first bout, working under El Toupee, saw me penalty timing for the inaugural bout of the team I’d been training with. I’ll be honest, I broke the cardinal rule and I cheered… three times. El Toupee gave me the disapproving look each time, I don’t recommend it. But other than breaking the cardinal rule of officiating, I did a good job. The players and refs went for their victory high fives and that was it. I stood there, trying to remember if the NSO’s get high fives and no one moved. Minx was in charge, she didn’t go for high fives and she asked us to tidy up, and then off to the pub it was!

Nursing many a beer that evening I couldn’t help but think that I’d earned a high five; refs and skaters get their high fives and NSOs are just as needed. Couldn’t help but feel a little sad. However, my next NSO job was at Hot Wheel and they let me. I ran that track, took my high fives with pride. I felt better about things, but to date that’s the only bout where the NSO’s have been encouraged to run a lap of high fives. NSOing isn’t a thankless task; we’re always appreciated by the refs and the players, but NSO’s need high fives too. (Editor: There's got to be a t-shirt in this somewhere...)

I’ve learnt more about the game of roller derby from NSOing than watching countless videos online. Now I’ve passed my minimum skills I won’t be able to NSO at as many bouts. I’ll never hang up my NSO shirt, but my derby life is moving towards playing in bouts with perhaps even some bench managing down the line. In addition, I will shortly be making my announcing debut in Liverpool for our awesome Phoenix Furies bout against Liverpool Roller Chicks! I’m fine with it now, but I know the same nerves I had on the way to my first training session and my first scrimmage will kick in on the drive over on the 7th July and I’ll be fine the moment I start, same as I always am.

With every new intake we have at MRD I’ll always recommend that our newer skaters take up an NSO role (at least at scrimmage but also at a bout if they can) and I’ll continue to do so to every new skater I meet. Helping the league to put on a bout might not seem like much, but the advantages for new skaters are well worth the time invested - they get to see a whole new side to the game. You won’t be in the programme, your name won’t be cheered - if you do your job perfectly, no one will give you a second thought - but without NSOs, bouts don’t happen. A better understanding of the game is there for the taking and the comfort and knowledge that you are helping your league. So go out and NSO, you never know, you might get a high five out of it. ;)

Captain Malice and the lovely Esjay NSOing
(image copyright Shirlaine Forrest)

- Captain Malice

2 comments:

  1. "El Toupee gave me the disapproving look each time, I don’t recommend it."

    I think it's a better way of doing things than shouting/telling people off ; )

    ReplyDelete