Thursday 14 June 2012

Sometimes the hardest fight is with yourself

Roller derby is a sport that prides itself on being accessible to all. No matter what age you are and what size you are you can learn to skate and kick ass with a team you love and who accepts you for who and what you are. This is one of the appeals of roller derby for me.

Why else does derby appeal to me? No expectations, the support of fellow skaters and knowing that I am part of a strong team, both physically & mentally. All of these aspects of derby are what make this sport one that works for me, and I take that motivation with me both on and off the track.

I want to talk to you a little about a side to these men and women that isn't always seen. We turn up to a practice, scrimmage or a bout with a smile and are seen to be brimming with confidence. However humans are complex machines and this outside image may be hiding a great deal underneath.

18 months ago I was diagnosed with a long-term condition called Pernicious Anaemia. The effects of this can include fatigue, low blood pressure, rapid heart rate, neuropathic pain and nerve damage. It took me ages to get diagnosed. I wasn’t eating properly and lost an unhealthy amount of weight. I actually didn’t realise I was ill.

Copyright Shirlaine Forrest

It wasn’t until I nearly collapsed at work that I got the wake-up call that something was wrong. I had a month off sick and many blood tests later I was given my diagnosis. I was relieved that I knew what was wrong and now I need B12 injections every couple of months for life. I made an effort to gain weight/eat better and now have a bigger and healthier body to block you all with! Looking back at bout pictures from before I knew I was ill I'm honestly surprised I managed to play a full-length bout. I should have listened to my body and taken care of myself when I really needed to.

Some of the best skaters I know have “hidden” illnesses that they fight in their own way every week of their lives. Depression, chronic fatigue, diabetes and heart conditions are all conditions that aren't always obvious from the outside but affect every day living. They can make it a constant struggle to function normally and to continue with a normal life, which many take for granted.

What I am trying to say is, sometimes all is not what is seems. Roller derby does attract athletic individuals who appear to take naturally to everything they do, but many of us are not natural born athletes. We train hard, get back up when we get knocked down and strive to be harder, better, faster and stronger!

I have a lot to thank both roller derby and my team, Manchester Roller Derby, for. I have learnt that I can do it. From the non-skater I was a few years ago, I have become a valuable and credible member of my team. I have more determination and so much more confidence than I used to have. I know that I can push myself to be better and it will pay off. It may take me longer than some to achieve my goals but I am not going to give up!

Stay strong and true to yourself, listen to your body and stay positive - the rewards are there for the taking.

"Never give up! Failure and rejection are only the first step to succeeding"


Copyright Shirlaine Forrest

No comments:

Post a Comment